In celebration of Talk Like Jane Austen Day on October 30th, I gathered quotes by this great English author who wrote about women hell-bent on marrying well (read: snapping up rich husbands). I picked snippets that in some way echo post modern social convention:
1. A lady’s imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment. Women are from Venus…
2. A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of. Don’t tell me money can’t buy happiness, dude 🙂
3. A woman, especially, if she have the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can. so as not to threaten…
4. An engaged woman is always more agreeable than a disengaged. She is satisfied with herself. Her cares are over, and she feels that she may exert all her powers of pleasing without suspicion. All is safe with a lady engaged; no harm can be done. Grouchy old maids; yet to some women marriage is a headache
5. Business, you know, may bring you money, but friendship hardly ever does. We are friends until you borrow money
6. Every man is surrounded by a neighborhood of voluntary spies. or private detectives/investigators
7. Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love. Bella Swan did more to her friendship with Jacob Black
8. Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. I could be doomed.
9. Give a girl an education and introduce her properly into the world, and ten to one but she has the means of settling well, without further expense to anybody. My Jesuit-educated father insisted I went to school and have a career
10. It is always incomprehensible to a man that a woman should ever refuse an offer of marriage. Women either refuse or propose marriage themselves nowadays
11. Nobody minds having what is too good for them. It’s nice to be spoiled sometimes…
12. Nothing is more deceitful than the appearance of humility. It is often only carelessness of opinion, and sometimes an indirect boast. Was it Golda Meir who said, “Don’t be too humble. You are not that great.”?
13. There are certainly not so many men of large fortune in the world, as there are pretty women to deserve them. Miss Pretty is expected to marry Mr Wealthy